Mystic Seaport Museum & Charlestown Naval Yard Oak
About Our Mystic Seaport Museum Wood
Nine years ago the Jarmak Corp donated some reclaimed heart pine to the Mystic Seaport Museum to rebuild the Charles W. Morgan, the last remaining wood whaling ship. While there, we noticed a lot of wood in a field surplus to their needs. Since then that pile has grown. Nine years later we purchased this amazing collection of wood.
One hundred and fifty pieces of what we call Constitution Oak were sourced in Charlestown Mass at the former Naval Shipyard. These live oak and white oak beams have a provenance like no other wood (see Dendrochronological evaluation). Harvested in the mid 1800’s, these oak beams were weighted with granite and then submerged in a salt water pond at the Charlestown Naval Yard. They were used when a US Naval vessel needed repair. Some pieces still have visible inventory markings. This wood is filled with New England history!
Other wood salvaged from the Mystic Seaport Museum inventory is oak that was used in the restoration of the Charles W. Morgan and the building of the freedom schooner Amistad. (see information below about these fine boats). It’s a treasure that we are honored to share. Suitable for an infinite variety of uses, this live edge wood will grace the interiors of residential and commercial buildings.
FULL OF CHARACTER